Thursday, April 1, 2010

More Info on Maren's Broken Leg

Everyone keeps asking what happened, so I will tell the story. Our good friends the Hoffers, son Chris is getting married. They are having a reception in the backyard. They are completely landscaping the entire yard and since their youngest will be a senior next year, they offered their trampoline to us (Erika sais she needs it back as soon as the reception is over, but I don't think that is what her mother had in mind). It is one of those great big ones. We got it last Sat. night and Josh, Hannah, and Kimmie Decker put it together and got to jump for a few minutes before dark. The next day was Sunday and we ofcourse went to church and as soon as we got home the kids changed and immediately wanted to go out and jump. I said that it was Sunday and we should not be outside jumping on the tramp, but soon relented to the constant begging. Ten minutes later, in came Hannah carrying Maren with a hurt knee. She cried for the entire day. Monday arrived with a somewhat restful night and her leg was still bothering her. I had to be down at IMC with my mom for some tests, Maren meanwhile had not walked since the accident. Tuesday arrived and I had preschool at my house and Gabe (he kept Maren entertained for a few hours) came over for a few hours. Maren cried to be carried everywhere the kids went and I knew it was time to take her in. Another clue , when I would push on her knee, the bone would make this little snapping sound. I called the pediatricia, who was out on vacation (which I was glad for, because she is always lecturing me for having trampolines and for the fact that my kids don't wear helmets when they ride their bikes. One of the other doctors in the office took the call and told me to take her down to Primary Childrens Hospital, that he would order a xray for her. I immediately saw the fracture in the picture, so I figured we would be coming back as soon as the doctor had a look. He called me later that night with an appointment at the orthopedic place at Primarys. So for the third day in a row, we were at the hopital (can I say how sad it is to be down at Primary Children's Hospital, bald children, code blues, and all sorts of offices I hope to never enter). Maren immediately picked pink for her cast and we were in and out of there in about half an hour. We hope not to see the hospital for four weeks! The pics are below in the previous post.

1 comment:

Anne Adele said...

Four weeks, that is not bad at all. Maybe the wonder of having a broken leg and having a cast will not wear off too soon and she won't get all tired and whiney with the whole process.