Saturday, September 17, 2011

Busy Week!

My little nephew Jasper came for a visit! He is such a cute roly-poly baby! I wish he was going to be closer!
Here he is with Nana. Doesn't he look like my dad! So glad we have a Griswold baby.


I was a busy bee this week. I canned salsa, and I canned white and concord grape juice! Yum!
The grapes were very bee friendly, hence the busy bee comment.

Now, I have this neighbor whose two apple trees are breaking branches it is so loaded down with apples. I am going to ask them if I can pick them, you might ask why considering I have my own apple tree. Well, it has worms! Yuck! How do you juice apples by the way? I need timely tips.

4 comments:

sara said...

I did not realize that you had done the grapes. What a little canner you have become. Jasper is very cute. Good thing they got out of that burning state.

Alan and Shelley said...

Ok, if you're lucky enough to get a juicer, apple juice is easy. Otherwise, you have to cook the apples in water and sugar and then strain them through a colander and then to make it really clear, strain it through cheesecloth. Then you have apple juice. Then you have to bottle it. Steam juicers run about $60 - $80 for a good one. I paid $15.00 for mine brand new at a garage sale. I just about fainted when I saw it for sale and quickly grabbedi it.I use my juicer every year a couple of times year. It is so worth having one.

alli said...

Wish I was closer because we have the ultimate juice from our days at Orchard House when we had two dozen apple trees! The grape juice sounds yummy and the salsa too. Can't believe you got that all done with guests arriving too. You are super woman/mom/sister!!!!!!!

alli said...

Ooops! I mean to write "juicer" and it did make ultimate juice as there were many varieties of apples in England that I had never seen in the US. All the pumpkins and squash are everywhere at the market with some that are completely new to me. Fun!